Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Kling Glöckchen klingelingeling...

Christmas goodies part 2. I discovered these cinnamon stars (in German Zimtsterne) as I was living in Germany, and since then, they're part of my Christmas baking. When it comes to Germany, I'm a bit nostalgic, and baking helps me deal with it (or makes me even more nostalgic, I'm not sure^^), anyway, you have to try this recipe !

Zimtsterne

  • 200g (7oz) marzipan
  • 3 egg whites
  • 300g  (2 1/3 cup) icing sugar
  • 100g  (1/2 cup) sugar
  • 4 tsp cinnamon
  • 200g (1 3/4 cup) ground hazelnuts
  • 200g (1 3/4 cup) ground almonds
for the icing:
  • 180g (1 1/3 cup) icing sugar
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 egg white

directions:
  • First, knead the marzipan with an egg white, then add the sugars, cinnamon and the remaining egg whites.
  • Fold in  the hazelnuts and half of the almonds until it comes together and form a dough.
  • Preheat the oven at 150°C/300°F
  • Sprinkle a suitable surface with the remaining almonds and roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1cm/ 0.4in. Cut into stars.


  • Place them on a baking tray lined with baking parchment.
  • Mix the lemon juice, egg whites, and icing sugar. You must have a thick but runny icing.
  • Spread the icing on the stars.



  • Bake for about 10 minutes until the icing gets lightly golden.


  • Let them cool on a wire rack
Frohes Fest !

If you like this, you can follow it on Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bakeaholicandco/251427858241722


1 comment:

  1. Nice recipe and cute Sterne))))
    I am a teacher too, btw, I think its so cool to be a teacher-baker-blogger combo!
    Happy Blogging!

    ReplyDelete