So I got back slowly to my tiny little kitchen and I come back with some cupcakes, reaaaally sweet cupcakes : Chocolate Nutella cupcakes with nutella filling and chocolate nutella frosting. Is that too much? Maybe, but in that case, what I do is bake small cupcakes, the perfect sweet bite with coffee after lunch for instance !
The hardest thing in this recipe is that when you buy a jar of Nutella, you have to try not to eat the rest of it when you're finished ! (I bought it three weeks ago and the jar is still here, I'm soooo proud of me right now!!!! And now I'm wondering, how long can I keep a jar of Nutella? It never happened to me before, I have to check!
Ok now the recipe. I've adapted it from the Hummingbird bakery cookbook :
Chocolate Nutella cupcakes
You'll need :
- 100g / 3/4cup flour
- 20g / 4tbsp cocoa powder
- 140g / 3/4 cup sugar
- 11/2 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 40g / 3tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 120ml / 1/2cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- 120g / 8 tbsp hazelnut and chocolate spread (such as nutella)
for the frosting :
- 300g / 3 cups icing (confectionner's) sugar, sifted
- 100g / 7tbsp butter at room temperature
- 40ml / 8tsp whole milk
- 40g / 1/2 cup coacoa powder
- 1 tbsp nutella
How it goes :
- Preheat the oven to 170°C / 325°F.
- Put the flour, coacoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment and beat on slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined.
- Slowly pour the milk into the flour mixture, beating well well until all the ingredients are well mixed. Add the egg and beat well.
- Add one big tbsp Nutella.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until 2/3 full and bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes.
- Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- When the cupcakes are cold, hollow out a small section in the centre of each one and fill with a dollop of nutella.
- for the frosting :
- Beat the icing sugar, butter and coacoa powder together in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment on medium slow speed until the mixture comes together and is well mixed.
- Turn the the mixer down to slow speed. Add the milk to the butter mixture a couple of spoonfuls at a time.
- Once all the milk as been incorporated, turn the mixture up to high speed. Add the nutella.
- Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
You can now decorate the cupcakes !
Happy to be back !
You can still follow the blog on Facebook, Twitter, Foodbuzz and now on Pinterest too ! http://pinterest.com/bakeaholicandco/