Monday, March 12, 2012

With a zest of lemon

Good evening everyone, the week end is almost over, I still got a lot (!) to do but I'll have break and post a new recipe. I've decided to dedicate this month to American baking (and I'm already thinking about which country I'll pick next month). I've never been in America, all I know come from books I've read, or movies I saw, so my mind may be full of clich├ęs but I believe my knowledge of American baking is pretty good, since I've read a LOT about it or tasted many sweet things during the past few years.
I'll start with Lemon Squares, I found the idea in a friend's blog Highwaytocook, and thought it was the best way to start my little journey, and without chocolate for once ! (And by the way, for those following the blog, the nutella jar is still there ! ^^)
So here it is, I didn't use the same recipe as my friend because I had mine but hers is really interesting and I'll definitely try it soon.

Lemon squares


You'll need : 

  • 150g/ 1 1/4 cup flour
  • 30g / 1/4 cup icing (confectioner's) sugar
  • 125 g / 1/2 cup butter (cut into pieces)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 4 tsp starch
That was for the dough, and now the filling : 
  • zest of a lemon
  • 16 cl 3/4 cup lemon juice (I used half lemon half lime)
  • 250g 11/3 cup light brown sugar
  • 6 eggs
  • 5 tbsp flour
Icing sugar for dusting


That's how it goes : 
  • Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F.
  • In a stand mixer (use the paddle attachment) mix all the ingredients for the dough until it gets crumbly. You can also do it by hand, with a fork, but I get soooo lazy sometimes...

  • Press into the bottom of a square pan.
  • Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
  • For the filling, beat all the ingredients together and pour onto the dough .
  • Turn down the oven to 150°C/300°F.
  • Bake for about 40 minutes, let it cool for 15 minutes, take out of the pan and dust with icing sugar.

  • Cut into squares or bars.

Have a nice week! 


If you like this, you can follow it on Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bakeaholicandco/251427858241722

1 comment: